Chief Compliance Officer
R. Seelaus & Company is a full-service financial firm doing business in downtown Summit, NJ and Boston, MA. The firm was founded as a municipal bond dealer conducting business with the major trust banks of New York and Chicago. In over three decades we have grown to offer a full array of products and services, including investment advisory, asset management, brokerage, bond and equity trading, institutional sales and insurance. The firm operates several trading desks and is home to more than 60 financial advisors, traders and salespeople. We serve the needs of individuals, families, public and private companies, and institutional investors.
Established in 1984, R. Seelaus has a 30 year legacy of serving client needs through fixed income expertise. Our longevity in the field of investment services is directly attributed to the accessible broad range of in-house expertise and the culture of collaboration here at the firm.
A senior role implementing and overseeing securities compliance at a dually registered, broker dealer/Registered Investment Adviser located in central New Jersey.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Must be familiar with FINRA and SEC rules and expectations regarding retail securities compliance to develop, implement, monitor and report on internal systems and processes including development of exception reports and other surveillance tools.
- Will engage directly in day-to-day compliance program.
- Must have experience managing FINRA, SEC and independent 3rd party examinations to manage production to examiners.
- Must be sufficiently versed in FINRA and SEC rules and expectations regarding retail securities compliance to serve as a resource to RRs/IARs, operations, supervisors and senior management regarding a wide range of time sensitive concerns. (Ongoing attendance at online and in person industry training events is expected to enhance knowledge.)
- Must be capable of and comfortable being involved in training the financial advisors.
- Must be able to draft and revise WSPs.
- Must be comfortable in assessing and customizing new compliance technologies to adopt firm wide.
- Must be a self-starter, capable of operating with minimal direction (after being trained) and juggling multiple tasks.
- Ideally, has experience with some or all of the following:
a. Separately managed accounts
b. Co-mingled products, private placements and accredited investors
c. Discretionary brokerage
d. Variable annuities
e. Mutual funds
f. 529 plans
g. Other retail products
h. Department of Labor fiduciary rules and regulations
j. FINRA customer communications rules including social media
k. Investment adviser code of ethics
l. Independent contractor broker-dealer firms
- BA/BS Degree (JD preferred)
- FINRA Series 7, 24, 4, 53
- Minimum 7-10 years’ work experience in brokerage and investment advisory regulation with increasingly high level experience
- Ability to serve as a change agent
- High level of organizational skills and detail oriented
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Must have ability to successfully communicate with senior management, financial advisors, assistants and firm personnel as well as regulatory agency personnel
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information regarding this position.